Parent Service Hours
In order to keep the tuition increases to a minimum, parents are responsible for 45 service hours per family, which are worth $50 each, a total of $2250. Various school and parish activities qualify for these hours. Service opportunities are posted on Parent Square as they become available. However, it is each family’s responsibility to step forward and find ways to complete the hours. The service hour commitment for 2019-20 school year must be completed by April 30, 2020. A fee of $50 per hour is due for those families who have not reached the 45-hour goal.
Any outstanding service hours commitment balance as of May 1st will be withdrawn via FACTS on June 1st.
To ensure prompt credit for service hours, please follow the guidelines below:
- Parents/guardians must record service hours using the online submittal form immediately after service is performed. Late submittals (one month after service) will not be honored. Exceptions will not be granted.
- Credit is given based on the date the service is performed.
- Only service hours performed from May 1 through April 30 will count for the school year. Hours do not roll over to the following year.
- Provide detailed information on what service was done, when it was done in the “Specific Activity Performed” field. “Christmas Fair” is not a sufficient description. Failure to provide the information requested will result in service hour approval delays.
- Log into the SJV Parent Portal on https://parents.sjvsj.org and enter the hours completed in quarter hour increments, 15 minutes = .25 hours, 30 minutes = .50 hours, 45 minutes =.75 hours, rounding up. (i.e. 25 minutes = .50 minutes)
- 1 hour of service = 1 hour of credit within the guidelines listed herein.
- Only service hours completed by parents/guardians may receive credit; Grandparents may receive up to 15 hours of this credit.
- Check for typos and ensure that the family ID and actual service date are correct when submitting hours online.
- Service hours are tallied for the Family Reports on the first week of each month for the previous month.
Only St. John Vianney Parish and School related service hours may receive credit, including but not limited to:
- Chairpersons – Chairpersons of events (maximum of 2) receive 45 hours, with documentation of hours, and are required to present a list of volunteers to the Tallying Committee. (The Fiesta Chairperson must make certain that the Tallying Committee receives all volunteer lists before the last day of school. This will depend on them receiving their hours.)
- Camping and field trips are not included for credit.
- Only 1 troop leader and 1 co-leader per troop sponsored by SJV Parish may receive volunteer credit. Leader hours are credited for meetings and coordinating troop activities.
- If a leader asks for parent assistance, parents may receive a maximum of 4 hours of scout volunteer time each year for helping with scout activities or attending meetings.
- Sports Coaches – Coaches receive volunteer credit for coaching sports practice and games.
- Baking Credit -Families receive a maximum of 2 hours for the first donation and 1 hour per donation thereafter for homemade baked goods. NO NUTS – We are a nut free school.
If you have questions, please contact the Tally Committee immediately - email@example.com.
Please Note: Fiesta hours must be submitted within 30 days (one month after service) of the Fiesta, otherwise credit will not be given. Families will receive a total amount of 15 hours for volunteering at Fiesta. See above for Chairpersons section above for Chair hours.
Service hour credit will only be given to parent/guardians who have met all volunteer requirements. Any questions regarding these matters should be directed to the Principal or Office Manager.
All volunteers, field trip drivers, and/or chaperones must sign in at the office and wear a volunteer badge while serving in a volunteer position.
According to Diocesan policy, all volunteers will be required to complete the following:
- Be fingerprinted. No parent may volunteer for the school until clearance is received from the Department of Justice and FBI. Fingerprinting is made available on the school campus at various times throughout the year. If you need to make an appointment, please contact the Verify Group. A $67 processing fee (payable by cash, check, or credit card no American Express) must be paid at the time your fingerprints are taken. A current government issued ID is required.
- Complete, sign and submit to the office a Volunteer Waiver Form
- Complete the safe environment online course “Protecting God’s Children”, at http://www.virtusonline.org and submit a copy of the completion document to the school office. The course needs to be repeated every three years.
Please note: No hours may be credited without the above items completed.